Different Lives, Different Stories: Students' Learning Journeys

Outside of DEEC, located at Powell & Columbia St.
    ‘What does learning mean to you?’ and ‘What has been your Learning Journey in Vancouver?’ were questions recently posed to 19 adult students enrolled in a  Foundational English class with the VSB at the Downtown Eastside Educational Centre (DEEC). In this course, students work to develop their speaking, reading, writing, and analytical skills as they prepare to successfully take Grade 10 English.
    Through self-reflection and small group sharing, students generated descriptions of their personal learning interests, styles, and strengths. When asked what they liked to learn about, some of the students’ interests included words, photography, art, food, nutrition, cooking, English, science, politics, and different cultures.  As to where they like to learn,  preferences ranged from in the classroom, to at home, the library, community centres, and at a women centre. Farid wrote that he enjoyed learning in the community because it contains “people from different countries, and of different nationalities.” In terms of who helps the students to learn, they named peers, teachers, study groups, children, siblings, and friends.  When sharing what helps them to learn, students listed books, newspapers, encyclopedias,  the  computer, and TV.
   Taken together, the students’ reflections highlight the  multiplicity and diversity of people’s relationships to learning.  Drawing further on their words:
Learning is very important to me because the world is vast, rich and colourful. I just know a few things of the world, so learning can help me to view the mysterious world better. (Bill)
When I learn about anything, I can describe it. From learning, I am thinking differently and I change so that I can feel it. (Parvaneh)
Learning means change to me.  Change starts from giving, volunteering, and acting now. (Peter)
I learned English in Vancouver and made a good friend from China. She is very nice and  very friendly. I learned about Chinese food from her.    (Tahereh)
    Besides reflecting on what learning means to them, the students also sketched out timelines of their Learning Journeys in Vancouver.  For example, Farid shared how he began studying English at Immigration Services Society (ISS) in September 2008. In April 2010, he participated in English classes at VCC, and from September to December 2010 he worked as a volunteer at the YMCA. Currently, he studies at DEEC.
  Below, you can read more about what learning means to these students, as well as their learning journey in Vancouver. As Bill, one of the students, observed: “Our lives are different, and so are our stories.”
 ******
 
Anonymous:
I came to Canada in August 2006 with my wife and children. Before we arrived, my friend rented an apartment with two bedrooms for us in West Vancouver. He was waiting for us at the Vancouver airport for a while because we were too late. Finally we got out and we saw each other. Then he gave us the keys and address. We were at that apartment for five months.
After five months we bought an apartment and moved there. We have been living there. It has two bedrooms and a nice view. Its location is around BC place and it’s very convenient. Every day I go shopping, walking, running, jogging, and biking. I go three times a week for exercise to the gym. I go swimming and I got to yoga every morning. I go to the library and borrow some books. I go to school two days a week. I do my homework, read some books and watch TV every night. I listen to the radio and sometimes I call my children in Iran.
I have a plan for my future. That is, if I can learn English very well, I will open my own business and bring my children from Iran to Vancouver. We will live together in a big house like we did in Iran. Our big house in Iran included eight bedroo0ms and three big salons and a nice yard with lots of flowers and trees. Now I hope I can do that. I hope so.                                             
Bill:
                Learning is very important to me because the world is vast, rich, and colourful. I just know a few things of the world, so learning can help me to view the mysterious world better. If you are thirsty for knowledge, you have fun learning.
                I am a senior, but according to the Chinese proverb, ‘If you live to be older, you should study continually’. The world is beautiful, so I think it is a good idea to record some scenery in photos, not just in my memory. In June 2009, I went to a community school to begin learning photographic technique which included how to use difficult lighting, how to create a tableau, and hot to adjust the aperture and speed. In October 2009, I joined a group called ‘Walking and Talking’ in which I met many friends, some of whom were very good photographers, and then we visited many famous landscapes together to take pictures. They directed me when I took pictures, and I have advanced my technique by practicing everyday.
                In the future, I plan to learn Photo Shop from my friends and study on-line. Photo Shop is very important to improve the aesthetic feeling of pictures, so I will learn it well. 
Peter:
                ‘Learning’ means change to me. Change starts from giving, volunteering, and acting now. Give and pay more attention to everybody.  To give is better than to receive.  Volunteer. Help people to solve the problem. Act. Action is the first, then talking. Talking all day is like wind. Too many words are not useful. To help other people, we must do. Action and doing are of huge importance for everyone!
  
         
              
  
                    
Farid:
Learning is a broadening of your horizons. It is a process where you become more knowledgeable about the world and society. Learning will also help you become more productive. It also helps you understand more things.
                I’ve been told that when I feel strongly about something, I can really get going. To me, learning is an ever changing weather pattern. For me, learning is the most amazing, exciting, frustrating, intoxicating, messy, and beautiful experience—and it’s what makes me feel alive.            
What do you want to learn in the future? This is a great question—and it’s something I often reflect on as someone who is in a position to ensure their vision becomes a reality. I think it’s essential to make a habit of revisiting one’s vision, to shifting the goal posts, and that means we need to be a little flexible for the future. Each person has their own wish on which to build their life, and it’s a guide to the future. The wish does not work alone without a dream. Over the course of a life time, one dreams a lot. After that, a goal follows the dream.
                First of all, I have already had extensive life experiences, but my experiences and background do not make sense because I cannot communicate in English very well. In addition, I can clarify that my experience and my background combined with my ability to communicate in foreign languages is going to be helpful in moving to my main goal in the future.                 





Parvaneh:
When I learn about anything, I can describe it. Brain revolution or brain storm. From learning, I am thinking differently and I change so that I can feel it.
                My journey to Canada, Vancouver’s society changed my life because I met different people, culture, language, society, and I learned many things. First, when I came to Vancouver in 1997, I got a job in a community centre to teach Iranian to children. At the same time, I got a job in a day care.  Then in 1998, I started to learn English at King Edward campus. After I finished three semesters, I attended the health care course. In 2000, I got a job and I continue to work and have other experiences too. Now I have a plan to learn more English. As a result, I improve my writing and communication.               
Peymaneh:     
After I applied to Canada, I came to Vancouver for a short trip last year. I stayed here for one month, and I understood that learning English was very important to communicate with other people. So I decided to improve this item. When I went back to Iran, I registered in a school called Kish Institute. I also studied English by myself and listened to English radio and watched English films.
                In July 2011, I came to Vancouver again and I wanted to find a long program for learning.  After a while, I registered my children in the VSB and I started learning English at home. Then I got some information about centres of education and I registered in an ESL class. In September 2011 was the beginning of this class. Although I am very busy, I try to continue this process and complete learning English.
    
      

   
                                  
Suki:
                I came from Guandgongi, China to Canada in March 2007. But I didn’t go to high school when I came to Canada. I think it was a bit late to go to high school in March. So I went to school in September 2007, and on the first day of school, I called it B-day. B-day is boring day. Every day I went to school and did the same thing. It was boring. The days just kept going on. 
                I went to Science World in May 2008. It was not a very hot day. I went with my friends, and we learned some science. But I don’t care about science. July 2009 was a fun day. So many people in the waiting line at PNE, and so am I. Vancouver’s PNE wasn’t fun enough, and no Disney. In March 2010 I went back to China, bought some comic books and a few more clothes. I visited my friends that I had not seen for a long time. I brought back 100 plus more books in my bag. That’s a lot and so heavy.
And now, I study in adult school. The place where I have school is a bit far from my house. It takes 40 minutes to get there. I would like to travel around the world in my future, search delicious food, meet some people and make friends. That would be so nice in my life. I will enjoy it.
Tahereh:
I like to learn about new things and new places. I like to travel. For example, I like to learn English and talk to many people from other countries. I learn that everything is possible.
                I learned English in Vancouver and made a good friend from China. She is very nice and very friendly. I learned about Chinese food from her. I learned yoga and swimming.
                I want to learn English more. I want to read and write more easily because I want to start a jewelry business in Canada. I love Canada.